Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
LIHEAP is designed to provide financial assistance to elderly, handicapped, and low-income persons to help offset a portion of the cost of energy used to heat their homes. Priority assistance is given to those with the lowest income.
The following services are available under this program:
- Heating Assistance is provided to eligible households through payment to a utility company or through the purchase of coal or wood.
- Crisis Heating Assistance is provided to households having an official shut off notice or who are out of fuel and meet the other criteria listed for assistance.
In addition to general eligibility requirements (150% of the poverty guidelines), applicants must be responsible for their own energy costs and meet certain criteria for emergency assistance as set forth by the State of Tennessee.
Applying for Energy Assistance
If your Household Income is within 150% of the Poverty Guidelines and you have not received energy assistance since December 31, 2018, you may receive assistance if funds are available.
To apply, contact the NSC Office in your county of residence and provide the following documentation:
- Phone Number
- Photo ID
- Social Security Cards for all Household Members (required by Federal Law)
- Proof of current Household Income for all members 18yrs or older (Previous 8 Weeks)
- Current Utility Bill(s) (Electric, Gas, Propane) - Please bring report of last 12 Month Usage
- Proof of Income for all 18+ Household Members
- Photo ID for Head of Household
- Social Security Card for all Household Members
- Current Utility Bill
- 12 Month History from Utility Company